Technical Writing Jobs
"What work I have done I have done because it has been play. If it had been work I shouldn't have done it." - Mark Twain
Hopefully, your work is like play for you. Or perhaps a new tech writing job will be. Mind, hopping from job to job won't make you happy (though it might increase your pay!), but finding work that lets you do what you do well, and enjoy doing, is nothing less than a blessing. This applies both to employees in jobs and freelance technical writers.
Technical writing is a wonderful field. It may not offer the glamour of a field like travel writing or screenwriting, but it allows writers to earn a real living; in return, they have to write about technical subjects (and work on those novels only at night). But you know what? It's good brain exercise, and something good tech writers can do better than anyone else, to really learn the technical material cold and then be able to explain it in words that other people can understand. Tech writers need both brain hemispheres.
The tech writing job market boomed along with everything else in the 1990s, and its bubble also burst when the Net bubble did. During those giddy times, anyone who could breathe was hired on as a tech writer at a lot of companies; thereafter, things dried up. Now that it appears that moderate, healthy growth has returned to the economy, and to the tech writing job market in particular, we thought it would be helpful to create a site with advice and information on finding technical publication jobs and agency contracts.
Technical Writing Tips:
- Try searching our Tech writing job listings
- Tips on writing your technical writer resume (and bloopers to avoid)
- Links to relevant job sites for tech writers
- Advice on how staffing agencies work and how to work with them
- Ideas on how to market yourself as a freelance technical writer
- Suggestions on how to get thetechnical writing training and certification you need as a tech writer
- Recommendations on how to create your tech writing web site
- Other links of interest to tech writers
- Tips on how to hire a tech writer (so you can see how the other side works)
Resources for Technical Writers
May your job search be fruitful, and may you find the happiness in your work that will make it seem like play. We hope you'll find the information on this site helpful to you in your search.